What can I do?

I want help.

  • Speak up.

Talk to someone you trust; a family member, friend, colleague, supervisor, or teacher, to seek support and assistance in stopping the behavior. If you are a student, the school is obligated to assist you. If the behavior occurs in the workplace, procedures likely exist to address it.

  • Document the incident.

Names, pictures, time, place, quotes. Take screenshots if the incident occurred online. Document everything you remember.


I want to help.

  • Show solidarity.

Show those affected by hate speech that you stand with them. Be present and listen. Help the person seek professional assistance. Do not forward the incident if it happened online.

  • Take a stance – engage in counterspeech.

You can make a difference by intervening in situations and using counterspeech. Try to approach the person using hate speech with respect. You can provide information or knowledge to the individual or show those that the expression targets empathy. This can demonstrate support for those affected by the discourse and activate more people to engage in counterspeech.



  • Hate speech can be reported to the police.

Expression of prejudice that doesn’t reach the severity of hate speech may violate anti-discrimination laws. Individuals who believe the provisions of those laws have been violated against them can file a complaint to the Equality Complaints Committee. In principle, the deadline for filing a complaint is six months. The Directorate of Equality provides guidance in preparing cases for the committee. If hate speech is found online, websites often have a specific reporting button.

Our words
Let's use our words to eradicate hate, not to amplify it